Fancy colored diamonds are one of the most stunning alternative investments available today! These treasure assets can range from the thousands to millions of dollars and exhibit solid appreciation potential. Let's take a look at some of the top colored diamonds sold in 2016.
1. The De Beers Millennium Jewel 4 weights 10.10 carats and was sold for the highest price ever paid at an auction in Asia. In Hong Kong, Sotheby’s held its Magnificent Jewels and Jadeite auction. This beautiful blue, internally flawless diamond sold for $32 million.
2. Another Sotheby’s auction, the Magnificent Jewels and Noble Jewels auction is held in Geneva. Hitting a record sale, the Unique Pink Diamond sold for $31.6 million. The price is no surprise, as pink diamonds of this size (15.38 carats) and shape (pear-shaped) are extremely rare.
3. There must be something about blue diamonds. The Oppenheimer Blue diamond made history when it sold for $57.5 million. It sits in at 14.62-carats and is the largest fancy vivid blue diamond ever offered at an auction. You can read more about the beautiful stone here.
4. Listed as ‘Important fancy intense blue diamond brooch, Alexandre Reza’, this beautiful colored diamond set was sold for $13 million at the Magnificent Jewels and Noble Jewels auction in Geneva. The centerpiece is a marquise-shaped fancy intense blue diamond that weighs 6.64 carats. Two smaller pear-shaped fancy intense diamonds that weigh 2.01 carats and 1.01 carats respectively further accent the brooch.
5. In June of 2016, the “Cullinan Dream” sold for $25.4 million dollars. This gem weighs 24.18 carat and is listed as a fancy intense blue diamond. Baguette-cut diamonds that weigh a total of 2.36 border the colored diamond. Out of the 4 pieces cut from a blue diamond weighing 122.52-carats in rough, it is the largest.
6. This 5.03-carat fancy vivid greed diamond goes by the name “The Aurora Green”. (It definitely fits, as this stone is absolutely stunning!) It became the most expensive green diamond ever sold at an auction in 2016, selling for $16.8 million dollars. Hong Kong manufacturer and retailer Chow Tai Fook Jewelry purchased the stone.
7. The Jubilee Ruby is an oval-shaped red diamond that’s set in a platinum Verdura ring. The beauty sold for $14.2million at Christie’s New York in April of 2016. At the time, it made this diamond the most expensive colored gem ever sold at a United States auction.
8. Looking for a pair of ruby diamond ear pendants? Listed as 'Burmese oval-shaped rub ear pendants', this set weighs 9.09 carats and 10.02 carats respectively. The colored diamonds sold for $11.6 million in May of 2016, marking a world auction record for a pair of ruby earrings. Read more about ruby colored diamonds by Christie's here.
9. Last, but definitely not the least, the Oriental Sunrise are a pair of beautiful fancy vivid orange-yellow diamonds. This oval-cut gem weighs 12.2 and 11.96 carats each, and are linked by marquise-cut diamond with an oval-cut diamond surmount. This pair of earrings sold in May of 2016 for $11.5 million.
What's Ahead for 2017?
Colored diamonds continue to appreciate in value and that is expected to continue with the anticipated closure of the Argyle mine in 2020. If you are unsure about how to position your investments in fancy colored diamonds, Arpège Diamonds stands ready to help. With over 50 years of combined industry experience, we'll help you gather the most effective information and insights so that you can make educated decisions on your fancy colored diamond investing. You can contact us at 866-821-5508 for a personalized review.For more reading on colored diamonds, see the links below:
- Sparkling Alternative Investments for 2017
- The Rich History of Colored Diamonds
- Upcoming Fancy Colored Diamond Auctions